The Duke of Sussex and Meghan Markle signed a multi-million dollar deal with streaming giant Netflix earlier this year, with the couple taking on production roles. Netflix has also angered Buckingham Palace insiders over their portrayal of the Royal Family on their show The Crown, which in its fourth season examines Princess Diana’s relationship with Prince Charles. According to Express UK, Royal Advisers recently called on Harry to drop the deal with the streaming company due to the Royal Family’s assault on the show and the platform.
It came after royal insiders ransacked The Crown and Netflix over their portrayal of royal events. An insider said the royals are wondering why the Duke is linked to the company producing a show that portrays his mother in a bad light. They added: “There are raised eyebrows about Harry taking millions from the society behind it all. “After all, where does a lot of Netflix’s profit come from? The Crown.”
Another insider, speaking to the Mail on Sunday, criticized The Crown for being inaccurate about the history of the royal family. They said, “There is no sense in telling carefully nuanced stories – everything is very two-dimensional. It’s trolling on a Hollywood budget. “The public shouldn’t be fooled into thinking this is a true representation of what really happened.” The insider also said Prince William “is not very happy” with the portrayal of Diana and Charles’ relationship on the show. They added: “He feels both his parents are being exploited and presented in a false and simplistic way to make money.”
Ms Andrews also claimed in The Column that Meghan and Harry showed video footage of their outing from the Royal Family to Netflix to secure the deal. Earlier reports said the Sussexes were planning to launch a “reality show,” which representatives for the couple strongly denied.